Followers

Friday, May 2, 2008

Reports: Trainer says he passed FBI polygraph on Clemens

A Houston-area trainer who once employed Roger Clemens' stepsister says he took and passed a polygraph test administered by the FBI on Wednesday, according to media reports.

Shaun Kelley told reporters that he passed the test, which he said included questions of whether he knows Clemens and whether he's ever given the seven-time Cy Young Award winner performance-enhancing drugs.

The Justice Department is probing whether Clemens committed perjury when he told a congressional committee that he had never used performance-enhancing drugs.

"They asked me if I know Roger Clemens," Kelley said, according to KRIV-TV. "And I said no.

"They asked me if I've ever given him human growth hormone or performance-enhancing drugs and I said no. I passed it bro, trust me."

The FBI declined to comment on the report.

"It is our policy not to confirm nor deny an investigation," special agent Shauna Dunlap, a spokeswoman for the Houston FBI office, told the Houston Chronicle. "By the same token, we're not in the practice of confirming or denying investigative techniques."

Clemens' lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said Kelley's involvement in the story was "an example of the New York media having run wild wrongly," according to the Chronicle.

"We've tried to tell everybody all along that Roger said he didn't know Shaun and that Shaun Kelley said he didn't know Roger. At the end of the day, we're going to have confirmed that they didn't know each other," Hardin said, according to the report.

Kelley had publicly volunteered to take a polygraph after The New York Times reported March 7 that he was a potential interview subject as part of an IRS investigation into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs in the Houston area.

In its report, The Times said a former employee who spoke to federal agents said that Clemens was seen visiting Kelley's center in the past few years.

Kelley told The Times that Clemens was "an acquaintance," saying he met him "a couple" of times after initially saying they had met only once.

"I finally get to tell my side," Kelley said, according to the Chronicle. "Tonight is payday. Absolutely, it'd be fair to say there's closure to clearing my name. This is payday. I finally get to prove that the accusations made were false."

Original here

No comments: