Followers

Sunday, June 29, 2008

How was Tiger Woods able to play golf for a year with a badly injured knee?

Tiger Woods golf ACL knee

TIGER WOODS holds onto his knee as he comes out of a bunker during the third round of the US Open championship.
AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File

Tiger Woods revealed last week that he'd been playing golf on a bum left knee for nearly a year. And he hadn't been doing badly: Recently, he finished second at the Master's and won the U.S. Open after forcing a playoff last week.

We'll never know if perfect knee health would have meant another green jacket. What we do know is that he winced in pain after every shot and caused more damage to his knee.

Woods had torn the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee about 10 months ago. One of four rubber band–like ligaments that connects the thigh bone (femur) to the tibia (the bone that makes up your shin) the ACL is the primary stabilizer of the knee. It extends from the back of the femur to the front of the tibia and basically keeps the lower bone from rotating all the way around when you pivot on your foot, allowing you to make sharp turns.

Such tears are a common injury in basketball, soccer, football and skiing, in which cutting, turning and pivoting are important parts of the game. For a college basketball player an ACL tear is a season-ending injury. People who injure the ligament typically hear a pop as it ruptures and the joint seems to give out.

It's exceedingly rare for anyone to tear an ACL playing golf, and in fact Woods says he did it while running. Not only are ACL tears rare in golfers, but for a typical golfer, the injury won't keep you from playing.

So why did Woods decide to have his injury repaired, meaning he would need to miss so much golf?

It's probably because in Woods's case, his whole golf swing is all about rotation. He gets much more hip and lower-back rotation than any other golfer I have seen. The ACL is the only thing holding that rotation back, so his knee is under more pressure than the average golfer's. That means more pressure on the cartilage (the whitish tissue found at joints between bones) in his knee.

Without the ACL preventing it, repeated stress can soften and weaken the cartilage, which can break off. That's probably what happened in Woods's knee, and it squares with the fact that he had surgery in April to remove broken cartilage in that joint. The reason he didn't have the ACL repair done at that time, according to a statement by Woods, was that he wanted to play in June at the U.S. Open at the Torrey Pines Golf Course outside San Diego near where he grew up. Recovering from the cartilage surgery was only supposed to take several weeks, whereas the ACL surgery would have put him out through October or so.

He was able to play, but his knee may have held him back—and certainly kept him in pain. The rotation required to execute a Tiger Woods's swing is immense, and if Tiger can't rotate like Tiger, he can't play like Tiger. Tiger Woods at 90 percent can still win tournaments—as he showed last week—but being less than perfect falls short of his own demanding standards.

Original here

1 comment:

Naturally Potent said...

What does Health have to do with it? "I work my butt off to maintain physical fitness, but I also try to eat right. The combination has helped me increase my overall strength and that, probably more than anything, is the reason I've been able to take my game to the next level. My body fat is somewhere around 5 percent. To get there I had to cut back on empty calories (non-nutritional foods like fried chicken and pizza). I still love the occasional cheeseburger, and I'm a sucker for Mom's sticky rice and mangoes, but I no longer pig out on them. My goal is to remain healthy my entire career, and a healthy diet seems like a good start." By Tiger Woods Everything!!!
How can Mona Vie benefit your Golf Game?
Go right now to http://thejuicefacts.com/facts.html and learn more about Mona Vie. See what other Athletes, Oprah, Matt Lauer, and CBS also have to say!
This is how Mona Vie acai juice can benefit your golf game:
"I'm an avid golfer and road bicyclist and I owe it to all of the golfers out there who play in pain or are in pain after they play golf. "
I noticed that I didn't have any pain after playing 18 holes of golf! Geoff Bodine.
Before I started drinking Mona Vie Active I'd had lower back pain since 8th grade, and while golfing I usually start to hurt around the 7th or 8th hole. I usually dreaded bending over to tee up the golf ball on the 10th hole because it was painful in my lower back to get down there and even more so to get back up.
I'm extremely pleased to share with everyone that I have No pain on or off the golf course!
Before my Mona Vie "transformation", I would normally hit a good percentage of thin iron shots. Why? Because I was deathly afraid of hitting it "fat" or taking a large divot. My tendon on my right elbow would just make me want to cry. After drinking Mona Vie active, there's no pain, zip, zero, nada! RJ Laffins
Scroll down on my webpage to shop or enroll. Don’t let the $45/bottle scare you off. That’s retail. Get the gel packs. $2.30 per pack wholesale. Same price or cheaper than mineral-vitamin waters, iced coffee or energy drinks. HEALTHIER!! Join for one time $39 to get wholesale or buy in bulk. MUCH cheaper.

http://www.mymonavie.com/ldevito/story_superfood.asp
http://www.mymonavie.com/ldevito

Anyone at home all day? Share the story. We will ALL benefit.

Lisa-davisldv@earthlink.net