Followers

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chaz Ortiz, 14, takes Dew Cup title in skateboard park

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Fourteen-year-old Chaz Ortiz won the skateboard park event Sunday in the PlayStation Pro to take the Dew Cup as the season points leader.

"I wasn't expecting to win," Ortiz said. "I came in here just wanting to have fun and I mean it all came together. To win it is ten times better."


Ortiz took the lead after his first run and improved his score on his second. He advanced to the 7-minute jam session, where he executed technical tricks on the rails, including a flip frontside boardslide kickflip. The Chicago native finished at 92.75.

Paul Rodriguez of Tarzana, Calif., was second at 91.25, and Milwaukee's Greg Lutzka was third at 86.75. Three-time defending Dew Cup champion Ryan Sheckler finished 10th.

Earlier, Adam Jones won the Freestyle Motocross event and also took the Dew Cup.

"I won a very big, very prestigious event and I also won a championship at the same time so I'm super pumped," Jones said.

The 24-year-old Jones, from Minden, Nev., took the lead in his first run and retained it throughout the event. He executed a stripper flip, a turntable and a KOD flip during the competition.

"I tried to tell myself I didn't feel any pressure, but I felt a fair bit of pressure," Jones said. "I didn't sleep at all last night. I was tossing and turning all night."

Australia's Robbie Maddison was second at 93.10, and Jeremy Lusk, from San Diego, was third at 92.57.

The four-day competition, which drew 53,566 fans, was the final event of the five-stop AST Dew Tour that features skateboarding, BMX and freestyle motocross.

Original here

No comments: