Followers

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pictured: The dramatic moment surfer cheats death after being trapped between pier and 30ft wave

By Daily Mail Reporter

This is the dramatic moment a daredevil surfer cheated death after becoming trapped in between a stone pier - and a freak 30ft wave.

Terrified Jacob Cockle, 23, almost drowned when the monster wave emerged from nowhere and charged towards him at at a speed of over 40mph.

Frantic Jacob struggled desperately to paddle to safety, but was caught in powerful currents that prevented his escape.

Jacob Cockle

A giant wave nearly smashes surfer Jacob Cockle (circled) into the sea wall at Newlyn, Cornwall

Clinging helplessly to his board, the student was tossed into the air 'like a rag doll' when the wave - with an estimated mass of seven tonnes - broke over him.

He was flung into the surf and spent 'ages' underwater before finally managing to overcome the currents and paddle back to shore.

Mr Cockle was tossed into the air 'like a rag doll' when the wave - with an estimated mass of seven tonnes - broke over him

Mr Cockle was tossed into the air 'like a rag doll' when the wave - with an estimated mass of seven tonnes - broke over him

Miraculously, Jacob survived the terrifying incident earlier this month at Newlyn, near Penzance in Cornwall, unscathed.

But speaking yesterday from his home in Penzance, Cornwall, Jacob said: 'I couldn't believe it.

'I was stuck by the pier and I saw this huge wave rear up right in front of me. It was just massive and there was no escape.

Terrified: Jacob Cockle

Terrified: Jacob Cockle

'I thought that was it, that I was in way over my head.

'The wave was so powerful that I was underwater for ages but eventually I managed to swim in to the beach.'

Jacob, a photography student who has been surfing since childhood, added: 'I've been surfing almost all my life but I never thought I'd get into a situation like that.

'It was terrifying. It's a real reminder of how nature can throw up a surprise now and again.'

Older brother Joe, 30, was taking pictures from the beach when he saw the giant wave approaching the pier.

Joe, also a photography student at nearby Truro College, said he watched helplessly as his brother was thrown by the surf.

He said: 'There were some really big waves so Jacob wanted me to take some photos of him surfing.

'All of a sudden this massive wave comes through and my brother was in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time.

'I saw the wave land right on him so I dropped my camera and ran to the water to see if he was ok.

'It's just so lucky that he got out unharmed.'

Original here

No comments: