Followers

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Uefa to investigate Rooney stamping allegations

Tom Lutz

Wayne Rooney and Aalborg players

Wayne Rooney and Aalborg players react after the alleged stamping incident last night. Photograph: Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images

Wayne Rooney could miss the next round of the Champions League after Uefa said it would investigate a claim that the striker stamped on Aalborg's Kasper Risgard during last night's match at Old Trafford.

"We are aware of the incident and the disciplinary panel will study the footage and newspaper reports before deciding whether to take action," said a Uefa spokesman today.

Rooney clashed with a number of Aalborg players during the match and he appeared to bring down his studs on Risgard when his opponent was on the floor.

"I don't know what he was thinking but he jumped on my chest," said Risgard after the game. "I don't know why but I think he was a little bit frustrated. But I don't understand it because they were playing good football and the score was 1-1 at the time."

Risgard also added that Rooney had shown contrition after the game. "Anywhere else but this place it would have been a red card," he added. "These challenges happen in football - I have some big marks - but I do think it looks good on television. He did come and apologise to me after the game."

A decision is unlikely to be made today, but if found guilty Rooney would face suspension for part of the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Original here

No comments: