Followers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Favre: I’m a little bit angry

Today, Brett Favre finally addressed the report that he gave strategic Packers information to the Lions. He said he took a call from Matt Millen that week, and talked casually about what the Packers did last year about the Lions, but that he didn’t breech any confidence.

rotary-phone.jpg

Favre said the call lasted about 15 to 25 minutes and he was only speaking to Millen, although he wasn’t sure he was on speakerphone since he was using a speaker in his own truck as he drove home. Millen started the call by saying he had land near the Jets facility that Favre could use to hunt.

(That’s what Woody Johnson said too! I guess if you have huge tracts of land and Favre’s cell phone number, that’s a great conversation starter.)

What did he say about the way the Packers played the Lions in 2007?

“We went empty formation,” Favre told Millen. “We just kept throwing completion after completion.”

images3.jpeg In fact, Favre had 20 to start that day. Whatever he said, the Lions lost to Green Bay again, 48-25, so the conversation didn’t really help Millen. And Favre said he didn’t have a Packers playbook on his lap for reference.

“It happens more than you know,” Favre said. “Don’t think for a second that, you know, when Mike McCarthy left in ‘99, went to the Saints, the next year we played them, they put it to us, that he didn’t tell his guys what they thought. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Favre said it has been made into a much bigger deal.

“I guess I’m a little bit angry because I think my reputation has been well respected throughout the years,” Favre said. “Any time that’s questioned, the type of teammate I am, it does anger me, I’m not going to lie to you.”

The story originally broke on Sunday when Fox’s Jay Glazer, who has sources in the Green Bay front office, reported it. A day later, Favre answered a text from S.I.’s Peter King saying the report was “bs.”An NFL spokesperson said that even if Favre had talked to Millen about the Packers, it didn’t violate any NFL rules.

“Believe me,” Favre said, “I’m trying my best to help this team win, the New York Jets. Spending no time trying to make the Packers lose. I got enough on my plate, believe me.”

In the audio clip here, Favre talks about the ugly breakup between himself and Green Bay, and he also talks about himself in the third person, which is always neat according to Jane McManus.

Download:

Favre also said that Dallas quarterback Tony Romo called him last week on how to handle the pinkie injury, not the other way around. He also said the Jets asked Calvin Pace about his old team before the Arizona game.

Despite the blow back, Favre said he would continue to take calls from players and coaches around the league.

There you have Favre’s side of the story. With all the sniping, name-calling and Eric Mangini’s assertion that everybody does it, I’m starting to feel like I’m back in junior high.

Original here

No comments: